How is everyone doing? Is there is there even anyone there? I hope so, because today I am bringing you the story of the kitchen tea cake I made recently. It really was quite a fun cake, even if it was a bit difficult to do when I first started it. After Everything though I think it worked really well and I love how it turned out, the style of the decorating was a bit hard to get used too, but what's the point of doing something and not having to come up with an ingenious way to get it done?
![]() |
| Thanks to my friend Erin for the great photos of the cake |
For the cake the bride wanted something a bit denser than the usual sponges and vanilla pound cakes that everyone is into at the moment, so she opted for white chocolate mud. I think it imperative that everyone finds recipes that works for them, in my case it White Chocolate Mud Cake recipe from Anneka Manning's "Mastering the Art of Baking". As well as this being a great comprehensive book on baking, it also seems that the recipes are really strong, I recommend that anyone that loves baking should get there hands on this one! For the Buttercream I always tend to opt for Gretchen Price of Youtube's "Swiss Meringue Buttercream". It's got a great consistency and it really is one of the tastier buttercreams that I've tried. I do recommend that if you live in a hotter climate like mine (Australia) That you find a recipe that will hold up to the heat, so if that means the addition of a vegetable shortening that is solid at room temperature, I would add it so that you don't have a cake disaster.
![]() |
| Thanks to my friend Erin for the great photo of the cake |
I sometimes feel like decorating is simultaneously the easiest and hardest part of doing cakes. With this one I just levelled and filled two 7 inch rounds then proceeded to crumb coat then, I then did a really thin second coat so that if there was any gaps in the ruffle you wouldn't be seeing bare cake. I then proceeded to fail at achieving the ruffle that I wanted, I ended up just sitting everything aside for a bit so that I could really focus on how I was go get this the way I wanted it. I ended up coming back to it an hour later and it just turned out perfectly. The teapot was made with a Styrofoam ball I covered with fondant and then used a combination of moulds and hand cutting certain elements.
All in all I really enjoyed making this cake and I feel that it turned out exactly how the client wanted it.
Until next time, see ya!


No comments:
Post a Comment