Tuesday, 2 October 2012

The first cake

Okay so now as I sit here deciding what I want to have as the first post on this new blog I wonder what will happen in the future and then it hit me a chocolate cake! simple enough but also a great crowd please-er I decided that spice it up a bit by making it with two layers with a chocolate ganache filling and I will cover it in fondant to make it pleasing to the eye.

So the cake recipe that I am using is one from taste.com.au and it is a chocolate pound cake recipe I have used this recipe before and it always turns out wonderfully I give credit to the writer of this recipe Liz Macri.

I also doubles the recipe so I could make a high enough cake, I put the original recipe below.

  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
  • 150g butter, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
  • 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
  • 2 eggs


Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 17.5cm x 27cm (base) slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing 3cm overhang at long ends.

Combine sugar, butter, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 2 minutes or until mixture doubles. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool for 15 minutes.

Add flour and eggs. Using an electric mixer, beat mixture until pale and smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn, top side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely.

There will be a post or an edit of this post soon of pictures and some other things......



No comments:

Post a Comment